Grand Rapids Econ Club hosted the President of the American Enterprise Institute: The most influential Right Wing Think Tank in DC today
Hosted by the Econ Club of Grand Rapids, Arthur C. Brooks, spoke to a room full of business people and other members of the power structure today about an idea they all love, which was entrepreneurship. Nothing that Brooks had to say was terribly interesting, rather it was just a 30 minute cheerleading session about how great starting businesses are.
However, the American Enterprise Institute is something worth talking about and something that everyone who cares about social justice and collective liberation ought to pay attention to.
Here are just some of the positions that the American Enterprise Institute has taken in recent decades:
- Opposes minimum wage laws and living wage campaigns
- Opposes any regulation of Wall Street
- Questions Climate Change and promotes the use of fossil fuels
- Promotes and endorses US foreign policy that perpetuates imperialism
- Was a big proponent of the US invasion/occupation of Iraq
- Endorses the privatization of public education and was a big cheerleader for Betsy DeVos
- Promotes corporate trade policies
- Opposes government welfare programs
- Opposes and makes fun of the Water Protectors at Standing Rock
Check out the information that the American Enterprise Institute has at their own site, as well as the resources available from SourceWatch to get more information on what this right wing think tank is all about.