Sign Petitions to Recall Snyder This Saturday and Next Saturday

September 8, 2011

Don’t forget to stop by the Fulton Street Farmers’ Market on Saturday, September 10 between 8AM to 2PM. Activists from the campaign to recall the governor will have a station set up where you can sign a petition to place the recall of the governor on next February’s ballot.

The same group will be at the Farmers’ Market on Saturday, September 17, between 8AM and 2PM. These are the two best chances for Grand Rapids residents to sign petitions before the September deadline.

The Fulton Street Farmers’ Market is located at 1147 Fulton Street SE.

1. Brett Colley permalink
    September 10, 2011 4:00 pm

Regrettably, Kirsten and I went over there at about 11am this morning and found no one with a Snyder petition. We did find 3 folks with a Fair Farm Bill agenda and info’…

2. September 10, 2011 4:40 pm

Brett, thanks for letting us know. We got this information directly from them, so it’s disappointing that they failed to show.

3. September 11, 2011 12:11 am

Hi! We are there every week. Usually we are the Fulton Street entrance. I did not make it until a 12, and my other volunteer was there just after 11. We did have someone there earlier so you must have just missed us. Please look for us every week at this location. In fact someone will be there for the Artisans Market on Sunday as well.

4. September 11, 2011 1:18 pm

Julia, thanks for writing. Just a couple thoughts:

Many people in GR go to the Farmers’ Market early in order to get the best selection. If you had someone there “just after” 11, you missed three hours of prime signature time.

Also, people are going to show up at the times that your organization publicizes. If someone made the effort to attend and no one is there, you may lose the chance at that signature permanently.

5. September 11, 2011 7:42 pm

We actually staff this venue weekly in two shifts; 8-11 and 11-2. I apologize that we missed people this week. When the market is crowded it can be difficult to spot us. If you will be there next Saturday we are always near the Fulton Street side by the guy with the Hula Hoops.

We appreciate the patience of your readers. We are an all volunteer group of people committed to making this happen. We hope to see your readers this coming Saturday at the Market. If they are looking for other places to sign, whether here in Grand Rapids or around the state they can call our hotline at 1-855-SO FIRED

Thanks for posting this regular event.

6. Bob permalink
    September 11, 2011 11:19 pm

I was there collecting signatures 8-10:15 am. I had a prior commitment so I could not stay until 11 when the next shift showed up. We need volunteers so instead of complaining, criticizing, or offering advise, try volunteering some time and helping to us make the recall a reality.

7. September 11, 2011 11:36 pm

Bob, I wasn’t complaining, and I didn’t see anyone else in this thread doing so either. I was responding to a comment at the beginning of this string.

Apparently, not all of the time period that was sent to me by the recall campaign was covered on the day. And apparently, some signatures were lost as a result. Those are facts, not complaints.

GRIID has made an effort to publicize the recall effort. That’s volunteer work, too, in case that point escaped your notice.

8. September 11, 2011 11:53 pm

You’re welcome, Julia. I know it can be difficult to have everything go as planned with this kind of volunteer effort.

9. September 12, 2011 2:38 pm

Kristen, it has been a long summer for all of us on the recall. We put in a lot of hours, are self-funded, and a bit weary. It is not easy work standing out in the sun for hours at a time and having people hurl insults at you or get right in your face. We do appreciate that you have publicized this. I am sure that you can understand that we are feeling the stress.

10. kswheeler permalink
    September 12, 2011 10:21 pm

I understand completely, Julia. You’re in the final push and I’m sure everyone is working really hard. And despite the fact that GR is not as conservative as it used to be (at least inside the city limits), there has to be a large element of people who would want to be confrontational about this issue. One only has to read the GR Press comments to know that.