Skip to content

Stabenow’s re-election campaign and the 1%

October 21, 2011

The November 2012 election is a little over a year away and that means that candidates are feverishly raising money. This is particularly the case with incumbent candidates like Michigan Senator Debbie Stabenow.

According to the Center for Responsible Politics, Stabenow has already raised $6,363,392, an amount far exceeding that of any other candidate. Former 2nd Congressional Representative Pete Hoekstra is second in fund raising for the Senate seat, with just over $1 million raised so far.

Stabenow, who is chair of the Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry Committee, has raised a significant amount of money from big donors, many of which represent the worst of corporate America.

The Top 20 of campaign donors to Stabenow’s 2012 re-election bid is a who’s who of corporate criminals. The top donor is JP Morgan Chase & Co., which has donated $67,400 as of the last filing deadline. JP Morgan Chase has a long history of corporate theft, profited off of the recent housing foreclosure scam and is the subject of a farm worker divestment campaign.

Another major corporate contributor to Senator Stabenow in the 2012 election cycle is the Blackstone Group. The Blackstone Group is a private investment banking firm with ties to AIG and Kissinger Associates, which has donated $45,700.

Other major corporate donors to Senator Stabenow’s re-election bid are:

Vestar Capital Partners            $39,950

General Motors                        $39,950

DTE Energy                                    $37,250

Ford Motor Company            $32,875

Morgan Stanley                        $24,700

Dow Chemical                        $26,200

Merrill Lynch                        $23,850

CMS Energy                                    $22,800

Other notable donors to Senator Stabenow are NorPac ($22,200), a Pro-Israeli Lobby and EMILY’s List, a pro-choice candidate funder.

Looking over the list of donors so far it is safe to say that Senator Stabenow is currently being funded by the 1% in our society, with financial institutions, the auto industry and energy corporations the primary donors.

This funding data translates into the fact that Senator Stabenow will likely make decisions as a Senator based upon the policy outcomes that best serve the interests of these corporate donors. Therefore, Senator Stabenow will serve the interests of the 1% over the rest of us, the 99%.

One Comment leave one →
  1. October 22, 2011 7:24 am

    sold the car ipad2 tommorrow then the world… cant wait for classes tommorrow o i just discovered the water/austerity mayor articles from, january…my god, fire at will.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: