Campaign to get Rush Limbaugh off WOOD Radio begins Wednesday

March 4, 2012

Building on the national effort to target Rush Limbaugh for his appalling remarks against Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke, NOW Grand Rapids and GRIID are calling for a protest this Wednesday, March 7 at noon, outside the headquarters of Clear Channel in Grand Rapids.

While Rush Limbaugh would like us to believe he is truly contrite with his recent “apology,” we should not be fooled by his statement, a statement that is motivated by economic concerns since the national backlash has impacted Limbaugh’s radio program revenues with some advertisers pulling their funding.

In addition, Limbaugh has a long history of making demeaning and derogatory statements towards women and feminism, immigrants, the LGBT community and communities of color.

NOW Grand Rapids and GRIID invite you to participate in a protest at the Clear Channel/WOOD Radio office at 77 Monroe Center in downtown Grand Rapids. People are invited to gather outside the building at noon this Wednesday, March 7. People are also asked to bring letters asking for the removal of Limbaugh from WOOD Radio’s weekly lineup. People will deliver letters to the station manager and check the public file of the radio station, which features not only 15 hours every week of Rush Limbaugh, but Sean Hannity, Glen Beck and Michael Savage.

In addition to bringing letters, people are encouraged to bring signs for those who want to remain outside and have a visible presence in protest against Limbaugh’s show on WOOD Radio.

For those who can’t make it Wednesday, continue to send e-mails to WOOD Radio station manager Tim Feagan at TimFeagan@clearchannel.com.

People are also working on collecting information on local advertisers doing business with WOOD Radio in order to target them in the campaign. Check back on this blog for updates or go to http://www.facebook.com/nowgr.

1. March 4, 2012 9:00 pm

Hate spech is not free speech.

2. Don Phelan permalink
    March 4, 2012 10:01 pm

I wrote an e-mail to Mr. Feagan on Friday voicing my wish that WOOD Radio dump Rush Limbaugh and here is his reply to me. Maybe he needs to hear from more listeners.

Dear Don,

Wood Radio is committed to providing its listeners with access to a broad range of opinion and commentary without condoning or agreeing with the opinions, comments or attempts at humor expressed by on-air talent. The contraception debate is one that sparks strong emotion and opinions on both sides of the issue. We respect the right of Mr. Limbaugh, as well as the rights of those who disagree with him, to express those opinions.

Wishing you all the best,

Tim Feagan

Vice President Market Manager

Clear Channel West Michigan

77 Monroe Center, Suite 1000, Grand Rapids, MI 49503

Direct Dial: 616.776.5501

Cell 616-292-7068

Fax 616-242-6599

• March 4, 2012 10:07 pm

Don, this is the canned response that Feagan is giving everyone, which is why a formal campaign needs to begin. Spread the word about the protest on Wed and we hope to have info on local advertisers soon.

3. Fred Bear permalink
    March 4, 2012 10:36 pm

Rush hit the nail on the head. This is just Liberals with an axe to grind preying on ignorant people who do not, or are not capable of, understanding what this is about. We have failing infrastructures, a power grid in serious need of upgrading. We have people out of work who cannot feed their families. We cannot afford to subsidize every little thing people want in their lives. It is not the role of the government to provide contraception, nor should it be. If she needs $3000 a year for having sex, then maybe she should take an accelerated Law program, get out of college faster so she can pay for her own needs.

Rush may not have been very couth, but he was dead on right.

• March 4, 2012 10:46 pm

Not surprising you use a false name from a song by the well known racist Ted Nugent. Limbaugh is not interested in being fiscally responsible as you suggest, since he never questions the billions in corporate subsidies that the public pays for annually nor the pentagon budget which is absurdly through the roof. Limbaugh’s most recent comments are nothing new in his long history of hate speech against women, gays, immigrants and people of color. Sadly, you are a Limbaugh apologist.

• Fred Bear permalink
        March 4, 2012 10:52 pm

Jeff I am not suggesting Rush is doing anything other than being accurate. This person, who claimed to be a 23 year old coed, is actually a 30 year old activist. This was nothing more than a left wing set up from the beginning.

4. March 4, 2012 10:58 pm

For a guy who uses a false name it is hard to take anything you write seriously. Rush has never been accurate about anything and when he has been confronted on his false proclamations he admits he is nothing more than an entertainer.

• Fred Bear permalink
      March 4, 2012 11:02 pm

Reading the news isnt for everyone. I really do not care if you cannot get over the name, that is a character issue with you not me. Facts are facts kiddo. This was a set up. Might want to check your information before making a fool of yourself in print.

• March 4, 2012 11:07 pm

It isn’t a character issue it is a matter of transparency and accountability. If you want to hide behind a fake name how can anyone take you seriously.

You keep saying facts, but have yet to provide any source for your claims. In addition, you never responded to my argument that Rush doesn’t give a shit about fiscal responsibility since he is a supporter of corporate welfare and the military industrial complex.

• Fred Bear permalink
        March 4, 2012 11:24 pm

Jeff Smith, What does Jeff Smith tell me about you? Nothing you say? The same thing that Fred Bear, or any other name I might put on the internet would tell you about me? Jeff, this isnt rocket science my good man. Think before you speak. You are using this name to try to bolster your weak position, nothing more.

As for your claim about Rush. You made the assertion that this was the thrust of my point. It was not. I stated it was not, and as all radical left wingers do, you continue on your rant about it. What Rush does or does not do is beyond my caring or concern. If you have something you need to take up with Rush then by all means do so.

On the topic of Sandra Fluke, check out her interview with Matt Lauer on the Today show. It was disclosed on NATIONAL TV that she is 30 years old. Her Linkden profile has her graduating college on 2003. By her own admission In one of her first interviews she is quoted as talking about how she reviewed Georgetown’s insurance policy prior to committing to attend, and seeing that it didn’t cover contraceptive services, she decided to attend with the express purpose of battling this policy.

Like I said dude, read before posting. Save yourself a boat load of foot in mouth disease.

• kswheeler permalink
        March 5, 2012 4:04 pm

Fred, you are a patronizing asshole–and ignorant to boot. Maybe that’s why you like Rush so much.

1. Jeff Smith’s real name is Jeff Smith. His contact information is right here on the site. That tells me a GREAT DEAL more about him that your alias from Mr. Northern Bigot-Land tells me about you.

2. Sandra Fluke never claimed to be 23 years old. That’s what Rush said about her, and the press picked it up. And since Rush lies and makes up “facts” in just about every broadcast he makes, that’s hardly surprising.

If you’d actually watched the Matt Lauer interview, you would have discovered that Fluke did, indeed, get her bachelor’s degree in 2003. She is now getting her LAW DEGREE. People do go back to school–maybe not the jerks you hang out with in sports bars, listening to Clear Channel, but smart people do. The fact of her age is a moot point. But just to be clear, here’s the link to her statement, which never mentions her age: http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/what-did-sandra-fluke-really-say/408191

Besides Limbaugh’s claims that she is a Democratic “ringer,” there is no evidence of this. She has been involved in reproductive rights activism, but show me a DIRECT STATEMENT NOT BY RUSH that says she “deliberately” lied about her age and positioned herself to be in the spotlight.

It was Limbaugh’s 53 attacks on Fluke within a three-day period that thrust her into the limelight, not her own desire to bring the issue to the forefront.

As for Mr. Parrot himself, at first he said he would never apologize…then he defended his attacks….then, when he started to lose sponsors, he apologize. Yup, HIS heart is in the right place–the cash register.

Here’s a nice synopsis of him from a FAIR report:
        “This kind of sloppiness, ignorance and/or fabrication is run of the mill in Limbaugh’s commentary, both broadcast and print. From dioxin to Whitewater, from Rodney King to Reaganomics, Rush Limbaugh has a finely honed ability to twist and distort reality.

Limbaugh’s facts are almost never challenged on his programs. A hostile caller hardly ever gets through the screeners on his radio show, and his TV show is just him doing a monologue in front of his cheering audience. No one in the history of national television has had such a political platform. He has almost never corrected anything he’s said–although he did apologize once to the aerosol industry for implying that spray cans still had CFCs in them. (CFCs were removed in 1978.)

Limbaugh’s chronic inaccuracy, and his lack of accountability, wouldn’t be such a problem if Limbaugh were just a cranky entertainer, like Howard Stern. But Limbaugh is taken seriously by “serious” media–in addition to Nightline, he’s been an “expert” on such chat shows as Charlie Rose and Meet the Press.”

Limbaugh himself has stated that he has no compulsion to tell the truth because his broadcasts are “entertainment,” not news. But morons like you seem to think that he’s actually reporting, not raising his listenership numbers.

Now, bring out your links and your proof, as you were asked to do. Or do you just have Rush’s statements to parrot at us—without your having checked a single one of them?

5. john vandyke permalink
    March 5, 2012 12:02 am

Will GRIID and NOW be passing out a code of conduct for the event?

I’m curious because at the last protest (the SlutWalk) I attended organized by NOW, they distributed a code of conduct stating that everyone was “expected to obey the law and respect one another.”

Also, while commenter Fred Bear is obviously an idiot, whether or not they want to use their real name on the Internet is irrelevant. Not everyone has the PRIVILEGE to do so, whether that be for work, personal, status, or any number of other reasons. I’d strongly urge you to check yourself on that. It’s messed up to think that using your real name is the only way to have legitimacy. Next are we going to make sure that everyone is a citizen before they express an opinion?

• Fred Bear permalink
      March 5, 2012 12:07 am

John.
      What part of my commentary do you find fault with? Everything I stated is fact. Just because it may not flow with what you wish the story to be does not discredit anything I have stated.

• March 5, 2012 12:37 am

This law is not about “tax payers paying for contraception” which has been going on for years and was put in place by Republicans. The new part is that every employer must have it as a part of their private health care plan as preventative medicine (private aka payed by the employee through labor and wages). It’s not a radical idea. The only part conservatives are mad about is that religious institutions (hospitals & schools). Get your talking points straight.

Your original point had nothing to do with the “set up” by a 30 year old… you said that tax payers shouldn’t pay for contraceptives. So this argument that no one is talking about your point is strange since you don’t even remember your point.

• March 5, 2012 1:36 am

John V, I am not aware of any code of conduct that NOW is asking people to abide by.

• john vandyke permalink
        March 5, 2012 1:36 pm

Glad to hear that you aren’t aware of a code of conduct coming from NOW. There was no indication that there was going to be one before the Slutwalk either, but then there was. Since you only spoke of NOW, am I correct in assuming that GRIID won’t be distributing a code of conduct?

Also, I just wanted to make sure that the second half of my earlier comment about anonymity/privilege/identity on the Internet got through to you. You didn’t respond so I can’t tell if you were just ignoring it or if you really considered it.

Anyway, I know these were what some people would see as side issues, but they are pretty important to me.

I hope the demonstration/protest goes well and I look forward to hearing what you find out about their advertisers and private files. Good Luck!

6. Fred Bear permalink
    March 5, 2012 1:19 am

Josh, I had moved past that. And as John was only able to, (as is the Liberal way), call me a name and not able to clearly articulate why he felt as he did, I had to ask him to clarify. Something I doubt he is willing or able to do.

7. Carol Ann permalink
    March 5, 2012 11:31 am

OK, guys (and I emphasize the word “guys” since I seem to be the lone female among you) … can we please focus on the issue here? It’s about a woman (her age is irrelevant) being dragged through the mud and labeled a slut and a prostitute simply because she wanted her voice to be heard – about a health care policy that was first suggested by the Republicans! It’s clear that many men (RL among them) don’t even understand the first thing about birth control pills: You take one a day, every day, whether you have sex 100 times or not at all. And many many women follow their doctors’ advice and take them for reasons having nothing to do with contraception. RL obviously fulfilled his desire to set off a national nerve here. Let’s not be sheep and follow him into the gutter ourselves.

8. March 5, 2012 4:39 pm

John, GRIID is not endorsing any kind of Code of Conduct and since I am planning to be there Wednesday I will be encouraging people to engage in a diversity of tactics.

I did hear you on the issue of using names in the comment section and I agree with you. I just got so frustrated with the Limbaugh apologist and trying to figure out if it was someone I knew, but I think I would have been better served by not even responding to what that person had to say. Thanks for making the point you did about privilege and anonymity.

9. Janet Martin permalink
    March 5, 2012 5:57 pm

Do we have a list of advertisers for the Rush show? We need to start calling and targeting them to have the largest effect. I would encourage everyone on this post to be civil in their replies otherwise we are no better then Rush. Lets show them we can be better people and there is no place for his type of rhetoric!

10. March 5, 2012 6:27 pm

I would definitely like a list of local businesses that advertise during the airing of his show. When it is up let me know so I can repost it.

• March 5, 2012 7:16 pm

Candace and others, several people are working on getting a list of local advertisers on WOOD Radio and once that list has been collected we are encouraging people to target them until the station pulls Limbaugh from their lineup.

• Erin Gawne permalink
      March 6, 2012 7:15 am

I already got a hold of TV 13 and let them know whats going on and sent them a link to this site . Also they might just show up the day of the protest..

11. Nathan Kettle permalink
    March 5, 2012 6:59 pm

You need to remove the picture of that ridiculous sign. Disgusting though it may be, hate speech IS free speech. “I may despise what you say, but I will defend with my life your right to say it.” But more than being philosophically wrong, it’s just dumb. It allows the other side to legitimately say that you are trying to limit what is considered free speech, and it puts them on the side of the 1st Amendment.

We need to make the argument not about freedom of speech, but whether or not WOOD wants to continue to financially support someone who uses that freedom to spew slanderous hatred designed purely to intimidate.

Take the picture down.

• March 5, 2012 7:12 pm

Hate speech damages freedom! How can anyone be free to say what they want when they risk being called a slut and a prostitute? And would you defend a Nazi’s right to free speech?

• Nathan Kettle permalink
        March 5, 2012 7:57 pm

I’m trying to help. The simple fact is, if you pit yourself again the first amendment you lose. Every time. He has the right,but there’s nothing that says he has to get paid for it. That’s the point we need to drive.

• March 5, 2012 8:28 pm

Nathan, I understand your point. I am not making a legal argument about Limbaugh’s sexist comments. The picture that says hate speech is not free speech is meant to convey the idea that when people like Limbaugh repeatedly use sexist language, demean and objectify women, it creates a cultural climate that sanctions male violence against women. I choose to call what he says hate speech because to me it is a more honest assessment of what it is, despite the fact that it is protected speech.

• kswheeler permalink
      March 7, 2012 7:15 pm

Nathan, what you say is not 100 percent accurate. There ARE exceptions where hate speech is not considered “free” or protected in the U.S.

In matters of national security OR in the prevention of offense to a group or protected class of citizens, hate speech is illegal. In the US, exceptions to the protection of free speech include defamation of character (which would allow Fluke to sue Limbaugh for his statements about her); incitement to riot; “fighting words,” or threats against a person that are published, in printed or broadcast media; false advertising; deliberate lies or perjury; or the revelation of trade secrets.

Unsurprisingly, Clear Channel and Fox Communications are currently parties in several open lawsuits questioning their violations of hate speech in their broadcasting.
      What’s surprising is that there aren’t more of them.

12. Sheryl permalink
    March 5, 2012 8:45 pm

I want Rush to stay on the AIR! This is an attempt to “QUIET” the right wing and nothing else. They will look for any excuse.. They don’t want to hear from the right only the socialist, Government Run Media.

• Janet Martin permalink
      March 7, 2012 2:23 pm

No is trying to quiet the “right wing” otherwise we would be protesting Fox News. Everyone has an opinion that’s what makes America such a great place. The issue is Rush spews hate and this is not the first time he has gone over the line he is is a sexist bigot, I don’t care about his politics. Others have been censored and forced off the air either temporarily or for good – Don Imas and Howard Stern to name a few. I will defend his right to free speech but the way he goes about it should be moved off the public air waves. He can move to satellite radio and people can pay to listen to him if they wish.

13. Sheryl permalink
    March 5, 2012 8:50 pm

Please join this group if you are against the Rush Limbaugh craziness to stop the voice of the right. thank you.

• March 5, 2012 8:57 pm

Sheryl, GRIID is committed to getting Limbaugh off the air at WOOD Radio, so you might want to promote your ideas on blogs that support the sexist hate speech of Limbaugh and not waste your time by posting here.

14. Naomi AMent permalink
    March 6, 2012 12:56 am

Rush Limbaugh does not deserve to be on the air waves .
    He is a sexist fat pig . I will not buy anything from anyone who advertises on his show.

Naomi Ament

15. Phil Boogaart permalink
    March 6, 2012 6:48 pm

Here is a list of sponsors from the program today.
    Income at home .com
    2. American divorce association for men (ADAM)
    3. Amberlein (weight loss) 800-339-0095
    4. Fox News
    5. Investing Approach.Com (retirement planning) US wealth management
    6. Schaafsma HTG
    7. I Teach the Bible – Kuiper College
    8. Dave Ramsey
    9. Maple Creek .org (senior living)
    10. AAA turf (lawn care)
    11. Lear Capital 1-800-957-4653
    12. Life lock 1-800-869-8107
    13. Walmart prescriptions
    14. Staples

• March 6, 2012 6:51 pm

Thanks for this Phil. Apart from Kuiper College, are there any other local businesses in your list. We posted another piece today with a list of local advertisers on WOOD Radio.

16. Phil Boogaart permalink
    March 6, 2012 8:41 pm

more complete list- what I heard on the program today
    RUSH LIMBAUGH LOCAL SPONSORS
    1. Income at home .com
    2. American divorce association for men (ADAM)
    3. Amberlein (weight loss) 800-339-0095
    4. Fox News
    5. Investing Approach.Com (retirement planning) US wealth management
    6. Schaafsma HTG
    7. I Teach the Bible – Kuiper College
    8. Dave Ramsey
    9. Maple Creek .org (senior living)
    10. AAA turf (lawn care)
    11. Lear Capital 1-800-957-4653
    12. Life lock 1-800-869-8107
    13. Walmart prescriptions
    14. Staples
    15. Metro PCS –Dave Ramsey live
    16. West Michigan Glass Block (wmgb.com)
    17. PawPaw Fire trucks (hme fire trucks)
    18. Mercentile bank
    19. The Mutual Funds Store.com (800-949-5959)
    20. Comerica Bank for Coummunity Outreach Ministries
    21. Chase Bank for Donors Choose.org
    22. Bartlett Tree service
    23. Metro Health/Betty Ford
    24. Spectrum Health
    25. Devos Hall (Human Nature)
    26. Constitution 101 at Hillsdale College
    27. Robert l. Steinberg.com (attorney for mesothelioma)
    28. Family Fare
    29. Tony Robbins (Ultimate sales Machine)

17. March 7, 2012 12:22 am

How can individuals protest against clear channel. How can we get this individual suspended or better yet fired?

18. Lostallmymirth permalink
    March 7, 2012 10:02 pm

I am very much interested in what might be considered as typical personality profile of those of you who see RL as their champion.
    Would they include being :

1-Christian fundamentalist/ Biblical literalist?
    2-Highly bigoted and intolerant?
    3-Extremely egocentric?
    4-Functionally illiterate and/or seriously undereducated ?
    5-Highly conservative and resistant to change and critical thinking?
    6-And, (just for fun) no idea as to the source of my pseudonym?

19. Judy Blaine permalink
    March 8, 2012 3:50 am

Also heard Allstate Insurance, Comerica Bank, and Lifelock as advertisers on Limbaugh’s show. I was astonished! Will be changing insurance and banking. Lifelock evidently lied, as they were listed on national television as being an advertiser who had withdrawn. Limbaugh is loving the attention. Talk about a prostitute!

20. Phil Boogaart permalink

staples
    J rare coins
    Chase bank/ donors choose.org
    Gerrits appliance
    Devos Hall/GR symphony
    Traverse City.org.

And , yes….lifelock with several ads

21. S Steiner permalink
    June 5, 2012 3:06 pm

Rush is the best thing that has happened to the USA in the past 60 years. Because of him we have freedom of the air waves. The left would have shut down all freedom long ago if they could have. I see you are still trying.

• June 5, 2012 3:09 pm

S. There is no evidence to support your claim, which is the same thing that Rush does…..make unsubstantiated claims.

22. January 13, 2013 8:27 am

I really question how come you called this specific blog post, “Campaign to get Rush Limbaugh off
    WOOD Radio begins Wednesday Grand Rapids Institute for Information Democracy”.
    Regardless I personally admired the blog!Thank you-Hong

Trackbacks

1. 99 Acts of Revolution in 2012: #8 Write a letter | Analog Mutant: Grand Rapids MI
  2. Campaign to get Rush off WOOD Radio: Targeting Local Advertisers « Grand Rapids Institute for Information Democracy